Fusion Antibodies is a Contract Research Organisation (CRO) that provides a range of service in the area of antibody engineering for the development of antibodies for both therapeutic drug and diagnostic applications. Focusing on antibody generation, development, production, characterization and optimization, these services include antigen expression, antibody production, purification and sequencing, antibody humanization using the Company’s proprietary CDRx™ platform and the production of antibody generating stable cell lines to provide material for use in clinical trials. Since 2012, the Company has successfully sequenced over 250 antibodies and successfully completed over 215 humanization projects for its clients with 8 out of the first 33 humanization projects making it to market.
Headquartered in Belfast, Northern Ireland, the Company was established in 2001 as a spin out from Queen’s University. It was initially a drug development business but revised its operations to focus on CRO work in 2011. The company has over 55 employees and was listed on AIM in December 2017. The company has ambitious plans to grow with a strategy based on the expansion of its client base as well as the addition of new service offerings. This strategy uses the Company’s proven technology and expertise and targets expansion both in the UK market and internationally. Key new service offerings being developed include antibody affinity maturation and a Mammalian Antibody Library Discovery Platform which represent key future growth drivers.
Fusion is at a key value inflection point in the Company’s evolution with a key focus on expanding/driving current commercial performance and accessing additional value generating opportunities as well as launch preparations for the new service offerings. Fusion operates in a highly competitive and fast evolving market and considering this we are looking for a highly motivated Senior laboratory technician to assist the production teams within Fusion antibodies.
Brief Position Summary
Reporting to the Production Director the role of the Senior Laboratory technician will be to ensure that all laboratories within Fusion Antibodies are sufficiently supplied with core reagents and consumables. In addition, you will be responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of key equipment in line with company requirements. The candidate is expected to be knowledgeable in a wide range of areas including COSHH, risk assessments, fire safety, and employee wellbeing including mental health.
Primary Position Responsibilities/Tasks
- To be aware of and compliant with company policies and procedures in relation to confidentiality, health and safety at work, COSHH regulations, infection control, safe handling of drugs, and all local safety rules regarding fire, chemical, and other laboratory hazards.
- Adhering to Regulations and laboratory policies and to maintain a clean hygienic working environment.
- Execute routine laboratory support procedures and lab reagent preparation, in particular media and buffer prep
- Coordinating the collection, handling and storage of samples received into the laboratory according to documented procedures including booking of samples on LIMS and generating the required documentation.
- Daily temperature monitoring and reporting in the laboratory.
- Purchasing of lab consumables and reagents in line with monthly budget including stock control within the laboratory.
- Booking in and correct storage of bought in chemicals.
- Assist with company stock take.
- Calibration/maintenance of appropriate Laboratory Equipment and maintaining department asset management system.
- Removing expired reagents weekly and monthly and placing on order as appropriate.
- Cleaning (where required) and storage of laboratory glassware and equipment.
- Participation in H&S audits.
- General filing.
- Environmental monitoring
- Monitoring and control of stocks of Liquid Nitrogen and CO2 gas
- Ensure Safe disposal of biological and chemical residues and other waste material.
- Carryout inspection, maintenance and correct use of safety equipment.
- Any other duties as required within the labs.
- Extensive experience in a laboratory setting (academic, clinical or industrial)
- A comprehensive understanding of health and safety protocols in a lab environment Skills:
- Knowledge of MS software packages including Excel, Word and SharePoint
- The ability to work both on your own or as part of a team
- Knowledge of dilutions, molarity, molecular weight and pH
- Evidence of excellent communication and team-working skills
- Evidence of excellent attention to detail
- Ability to write and review Risk Assessments and Standard Operating Procedures
- Experience of Perkin Elmer ELN software packages
- Previous experience in facility management
- Previous experience with autoclaves, pure water systems, liquid nitrogen handling and CO2 gas delivery systems
If you are interested in this role then please send an up to date CV and covering letter to email@example.com by 05 November 2021.