Reporting to the R&D team leader the role of R&D scientist will be responsible for developing and executing the library discovery platform development and work with the commercial team to bring this service to market.
Primary Position Responsibilities/Tasks
• Report to the R&D Team Leader
• To accurately record the experiments performed and ensure full documentation
compliant with R&D quality procedures
• To implement the experimental programmes needed to develop, evaluate and
characterise processes for target molecules
• Independent driving of projects and responsibility for project progress
• Prepare reports, publications and oral presentations
• Daily maintenance of the laboratory and ensure compliance with ISO9001
• Growth and maintenance of cell cultures
• Transfection, infection, and selection of cells for expansion/ development
• Clonal selection of transfected cells
• Screening of cells with flow cytometry and cell sorting.
• Maintaining SOPs
• Management of stock reagents
• Undertake other laboratory and business-related tasks as and when required to meet
department and business needs and within the scope of the job-holder’s capabilities and
• Represent the company to the highest of professional standards, both internally and
• BSc in Biotechnology and 1+ years’ experience or equivalent
• Experience in relevant mammalian cell culture techniques
• Strong interpersonal, influencing, negotiating and collaboration skills together with evidence
of having used these to support problem solving and delivery in a team-orientated,
• Data processing, statistical analysis and interpretation.
• Good communication and organisational skills are essential.
• Experience preparing written scientific reports (e.g. manuscripts) and oral presentations
(e.g. slides, posters)
• Highly motivated and resourceful individual with ability to learn and adapt to new
• Flexible attitude with an ability to perform under pressure
• Flow Cytometry and particularly Live cell sorting
• Experience performing transient/stable transfections
• Retroviral and Lentiviral experience
• Experience of antibody display technologies
• CRISPR experience
• Experience working under ISO9001
• General knowledge of lab software systems including electronic laboratory notebooks
Fusion Antibodies is a Contract Research Organisation (CRO) that provides a range of service in the area of antibody engineering for the development of antibodies for both therapeutic drug and diagnostic applications. Focusing on antibody generation, development, production, characterisation and optimisation, these services include antigen expression, antibody production, purification and sequencing, antibody humanisation using the Company’s proprietary CDRx™ platform and the production of antibody generating stable cell lines to provide material for use in clinical trials. Since 2012, the Company has successfully sequenced over 250 antibodies and successfully completed over 215 humanisation projects for its clients with 8 out of the first 33 humanisation projects.
Headquartered in Belfast, Northern Ireland, the Company was established in 2001 as a spin out from Queen’s University. It was initially a drug development business but revised its operations to focus on CRO work in 2011. The company has over 55 employees and was listed on AIM in December 2017. The company has ambitious plans to grow with a strategy based on the expansion of its client base as well as the addition of new service offerings. This strategy uses the Company’s proven technology and expertise and targets expansion both in the UK market and internationally. Key new service offerings being developed include antibody affinity maturation and a Mammalian Antibody Library Discovery Platform which represent key future growth drivers.
Fusion is at a key value inflection point in the Company’s evolution with a key focus on expanding/driving current commercial performance and accessing additional value generating opportunities as well as launch preparations for the new service offerings. Fusion operates in a highly competitive and fast evolving market and in light of this a new position within the technical production department has presented itself due to relocation of a staff member.